I know that most of you are aware of how absolutely awful M. Night Shyamalan’s film adaption of Avatar: The last Airbender turned out to be. I’m going to be analyzing the different components that made this movie worthy of the Worst Picture Razzie.
For starters, just look at the title:
Cheesy to the extreme plus, why would you use barely legible flags to represent the four nations? I would have used the four nation’s actual symbols.
Honestly, when I went to go see this movie, I knew it would be bad, but I didn’t know that it would be THIS bad. I would have left the theater if my friend hadn’t have stopped me. Some parts were just ridiculous and the acting was just awful.
I’ve compiled a list of all of the things I think made “The Last Airbender” the worst movie I have ever had the misfortune of seeing.
1) They cut out the “Avatar” (James Cameron’s “Avatar” messed it up, but I must say I’m relieved they didn’t use the original name, that would have made so many misconceptions about the show).
2) The creators of the show had a vision and named each character how they though they should be made. Why on earth does Shyamalan think he has a right to change the names to sound more Asian??? Aang is pronounced E-N-G not O-N-G! Iroh is pronounced EYE-ROW not EE-ROW! Sokka is pronounced Sa-Ka not SO-KA!
3) If Shyamalan was so concerned about the names being “truly” Asian, why was most of his cast white?
4) Also, why were the Water Tribe, who are supposed to be tanner, the lightest skinned out of everyone? Why were the Fire Nation, who are supposed to be pale, Indian? AND WHY ON EARTH WAS MONK GIATSO YOUNG AND AFRICAN AMERICAN! I mean honestly, I totally get the ethically diverse part of casting, but honestly, CAST THEM FOR THE RIGHT ROLES!
5) Hey Shyamalan, there was already a story, why did you have to change it? They messed up so many scenes in the movie I just lost count. There was one however that I remember perfectly. So the Gaang was in the Earth Kingdom and there was a prison or something to hold earthbenders (on land!). There was this little boy who I guess was supposed to be Haru and I tell you, when the Gaang inspired the earthbenders to fight, there were like 5 people doing the most complicated martial arts formes, and together, they lifted a rock the size of a baseball. This was the point when I was about to flee the theater.
6) Why did I pay $5 extra for 3D tickets when I could take off the glasses and the movie looked the same?
7) True firebenders can make fire come out of their hands but the movie made it so that they can only control already existing fire! Are you kidding me?
8 ) Fire Lord Ozai’s face is not shown until the third season, why is he like a recurring face in this movie?
9) If you’re gonna do costumes, DO THEM RIGHT! Water Tribe clothes are blue, Fire Nation clothes are red, Earth Kingdom clothes are green. Honestly!
10) The actors sucked, that’s all I have to say
Well there you have it, all of the reasons why I hate the movie “The Last Airbender” as well as M. Night Shyamalan
P.S. Here is a funny video making fun of how M. Night Shyamalan can’t make any good movies other than the Sixth Sense: